Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My New Found Obssession...

Anybody that knows me well knows that I HATE, yes I said HATE, reading!!! Until now I had only read like 2 books since high school. I never understood the big hype over those 'Twilight' books, or any other book for that matter. I guess you could call me...words from my own father... a 'realistic freak'. I don't like movies, books, or anything for that matter that have to do with things that in my mind are 'unrealistic'. Eventhough I am married to a man that LOVES 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Harry Potter' or 'Star Wars', you will very seldomly find me watching them with him.
*
Well, a couple years ago Brandon asked for a series of 6 books called 'The Great and Terrible' by Chris Stewart. He has read them I think 3 times now. One day, not too long ago, he handed me the first book and said 'I want you to read from here to the end of the chapter'. I didn't really want to but I did because it was easier than fighting him on it:) I was HOOKED. I didn't tell him that, but I was. I started reading the first book without him knowing, but it didn't last very long since I had a hard time putting it down!! He finally caught me one day sitting on the john reading it...he laughed and said he knew for quite a while that I had been reading it since he had found my toilet paper book mark:)
*
Needless to say, I am now in the 5th book. Why do I like them you might ask?...because they are REALISTIC!!! They are about our day. They talk of things I can actually see happening. They have officially scared me half to death! They have made me ask...'do we have enough?', 'could we really live through it?', 'how long would we survive off of what we have?'!!
*
SO people...if you want a good read...read 'The Great and Terrible'!!!

3 comments:

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I like to read a good book so I will have to try to find them for sure!! Right now I'm reading Northangers Abby by Jane Austin. LOVE her books!
Oh and I have had those toilet paper bookmarks too:)

Ginger said...

Hey, I've read one of those books, just the first one though. I need to read the rest of them. It was a good book :).

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

I LOVE this series. Jonathan got me to read the first one and I made him go out and buy me every volume and had them all read in like a month. I couldn't put them down. I can totally see the 'end of the world' just as he portrays it. Scary but so exciting. Best books ever!